POSITION SUMMARY: The Kentucky Association for Economic Development (KAED) Board of Directors is seeking a dynamic and professional executive to elevate the organization’s role within the Commonwealth. This individual will be responsible for the overall leadership and day to day operations of the KAED organization and its additional programs such as Kentucky United, KIED, and the KIDC Foundation.
In this role, areas of responsibility include organizational planning; internal and external communications; staff management; operational and fiscal management; event management; marketing programs; developing, maintaining and cultivating relationships with local, regional, state and federal economic development organizations as well as governments/cabinets, private sector business leaders and key partner organizations.
REPORTS TO: Chair of the Board of Directors
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The President/CEO serves as the executive leader of the Kentucky Association for Economic Development (KAED) and will serve at the pleasure of the Board of Directors.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of multi-year strategic operating plans for the overall organization and programming.
- Develop and implement annual action plans with proposed measures of success to accomplish the operating plan objectives including membership, sponsorship, educational initiatives, conferences/events, etc.
- Serve as the principal spokesperson for the organization to membership, corporate sponsors, state officials, media and others as needed.
Build a strong working relationship with other state associations whose interests overlap those of KAED and work toward joint opportunities for success.
- Continue to develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development (KCED) and joint marketing programs.
- Develop strategies related to new and more immersive educational programs to build upon KAED Conferences and the KIED Basic Economic Development Course in coordination with the KCED.
- Direct and manage the administrative and financial functions of the organization and oversee the development of staff resources as well as continuing education/professional development.
- Prepare reports, as required, to KAED’s Board of Directors
- Act as fiscal officer and be accountable for the finances and the financial well-being of KAED. This includes but is not limited to preparation of operating budgets, oversight of bank and investment accounts, ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state and federal statutes, and oversight of KAED audits and filings. In conjunction with the Executive Committee, the President will develop an ongoing strategy to insure the financial stability of the overall organization through new and retained membership and sponsorships. This includes subsidiary programs such as Kentucky United, KIDC Foundation and KIED (educational arm).
- KAED staff reports directly to the President/CEO. Manage staff, delegate responsibilities, set clear expectations and goals for staff job performance and review annually.
- Create channels of communication with community, state, and national resources for the betterment of the association. This includes a public relations program representing KAED including, but not limited to public appearances, photo ops, press releases, newsletters, position papers, legislative alerts and bulletins.
- Follow any legislative action that would detract from, or add to, a favorable business environment within the Commonwealth. Communicate to the board and membership when action is needed with appropriate support to initiatives that will improve economic development and the business climate in Kentucky.
- Responsible for carrying out management/marketing agreements with organizations who participate in KAED activities.
Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- BA/BS Degree plus 5-10 years’ experience in economic development or non-profit management preferred. Masters or CEcD designation a plus but not required
- Knowledge of and experience in non-profit management
- Graduate of an accredited economic development program preferred
- Hands-on experience developing and on-boarding members and sponsors
- Successful experience forging productive alliances across private, public and governmental sectors and leading public/private partnerships
- Experience developing strategic plans for a multi-faceted organization
- Experience bringing groups and individuals together around complex issues
- Effective Board relations; an open communicator who can provide timely information, minimize conflict and implement policy initiatives, and a clear understanding of the difference between policy and administration
- Substantial executive experience, responsible for the day to day operation of a successful economic development or non-profit initiative – 5-10 years or more
- Strong analytical, organizational, financial, and motivational skills
- Ability to prepare and present concise and effective written reports, interpret and administer policy, and design and implement an annual business plan
- Ability to work with business, community and governmental leaders effectively
- Proven consensus builder managing diverse viewpoints to an effective, positive outcome
- A hands-on, self -starter with vision and high energy commitment to excellence and mission
- Demonstrated success in establishing program priorities, delegating, and motivating others
- An intelligent, mature and self- confident individual
- A facilitator, who works well with groups, encourages engagement from others and maintains focus and derives meaningful outcomes
- A collaborative leader willing to encourage different viewpoints and take decisive action
- An exceptional and persuasive oral and written communicator
- Valid driver’s license, passport and ability to insure
- Ability to utilize technology, software programs and social media
- To be considered, an applicant must have a minimum experience of five (5) years as an executive or staff employee of a recognized economic development or non-profit organization (private or public).
- The applicant must clearly specify his or her fulfillment of the minimum employment experience stated above in a cover letter accompanying his or her professional resume. Failure to comply may warrant elimination of an applicant from further consideration.
- Willingness to travel extensively across the state of Kentucky, nationally and internationally when necessary
SALARY: Compensation will be commensurate with relevant experience.
Please send your resume and letter of intent with documentation outlining that you meet the qualifications and requirements listed above to the attention of the KAED Search Committee Chair, Chuck Sexton
Cutoff Date for Submissions:
COB September 14th, 2017
Submissions are preferred to be sent electronically to:
Submissions may also be delivered by standard mail to:
1 Bert T Combs Drive Suite 205
Prestonsburg, KY 41653
c/o Chuck Sexton
The Kentucky Association for Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.